ISO Quality Services November 2014 Newsletter
17 Nov, 2014
Welcome to the ISO Quality Services November 2014 newsletter, we hope that you’re having a fantastic month!
This month has seen the whole of United Kingdom remember those who have fallen while serving their country as part of the armed forces. If it is possible, this year has become even more poignant with it being 100 years since the start of the first world war.
What’s in this issue?
Congratulations to our Newly Certificated Clients
Stopford Information Systems Ltd
Established in 1999, Stopford Information Systems Ltd are situated in Chester and have built their success on a close working relationship with their clients which ultimately results in imaginative and cost effective long term solutions.
On Thursday 2nd October 2014, Stopford Information Systems Ltd was presented with their ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 Certificates.
Their scope reads, The Design, Development and Support of Booking Software, Record Management Software and Bespoke Software, no matter the size of the business or type of industry.
If you would like further information regarding how they can help your business, you can telephone them direct on 01244 319 144 or visit their website, www.stopford.com.
Senior Lead Assessor Peter O’Neill (right) presenting Paul McCloskey(left), Managing Director of Stopford Information Systems Limited, with their ISO 9001 Quality and ISO 27001 Information Security Management System Certificates.
ISO Quality Services Ltd strongly believes in giving opportunities to ambitious young individuals and as a result of this has been shortlisted for the Small Business Apprenticeship employer of the year at the Worcestershire Apprenticeship Awards.
Our apprenticeship scheme has meant that we have been able to attract some talented individuals as well as providing them with the opportunity to show what they are capable of. The shortlisting for the award is a welcome recognition for not only the company but for all the hard work that Mike, Natalie and Emily put in on a daily basis.
The awards will take place on Thursday 27th November and will be held at the Tree Tops Pavilion inside the West Midlands Safari Park from 6:30pm until late.
For an extended look into the benefits that ISO Quality Services Ltd have received from an apprenticeship scheme, please click HERE.
If you are considering implementing an apprenticeship scheme, you can find the key information HERE.
HMRC set to access bank accounts to recover debts
Many people are still unaware but the Chancellor, George Osborne unveiled plans in this year’s budget that will allow HMRC have access to the bank accounts of businesses and individuals that owe them money.
As part of the plans, there have also been safeguards which have been outlined that include:
- Only long term debts over £1000 will be targeted and that is only after 4 payment demands.
- A minimum of £5000 must be left in the accounts after the unpaid tax is seized.
- The amount owed will be frozen for 14 days to allow time for debt payment.
A number of concerns have however been raised about this proposal such as ones concerning the HMRC’s past performance surrounding incorrect tax bill calculations. This could lead to businesses and individuals potentially being vulnerable to cash being seized that is not owed. This coupled by additional concerns that the time the HMRC will take to repay this incorrectly seized monies have left people in some quarters understandably concerned.
It is expected that 17,000 individuals will be affected and it is expected to come into force in 2015.
Source: ABG Chartered accountants
What is actually included within ISO 27001 Information Security Management?
Here are SOME of the different aspects that the standard covers:
- Implementation of a security policy
- Managing information security within the organisation
- Responsibility for assets
- Human Resources security prior, during and post-employment
- Physical and environmental security
- Operational procedures and responsibilities
- Mobile computing and teleworking
- Reporting information security events and weaknesses
- Legal requirements
There are many more elements to this standard but ISO Quality Services are here to help all clients successfully achieve certification so there is never a feeling of being overwhelmed. Furthermore due to how comprehensive the standard is, it can play an important part in winning tenders as well as a business’s marketing activities.
ISO Quality Services Ltd is proud to announce that in January 2015 we will be running our FIRST Information Security Training Course so as to help companies protect themselves from the issues already outlined. For more information, please click here or email email@example.com.
For more information regarding the standard, please visit our relevant webpage here or call us direct on 01905 670303.
Eight tips for boosting the growth of your business
The ISO/BS Standards can be used to great effect to boost business growth but they must be maintained in conjunction with other actions and activities.
- Create and stick to your businesses medium term goals. Too many businesses continuously change their company goals without delivering them.
- Your customer base is king. It is your customers that you want to satisfy so listen and act upon customer feedback.
- Ensure product clarity. Clarity in what your product is, your target market and your unique selling point is crucial.
- Great marketing is crucial. You may be a small company but that doesn’t mean you can’t provide the perception that your company is bigger than it is.
- Surround yourself with a great team. Building a strong and capable team that as a business owner you can trust will enable effective delegation and productivity.
- Maintain your company focus. Don’t get side tracked by issues that are not linked to revenue. Focus on the activities that bring in the money!
- Measure the actions that lead to results. Many businesses get too bogged down analysing the wrong actions.
- Get Advice. No one knows everything and there are great sources of information such as your local chamber of commerce and the UKTI.
Source: The Times
Interesting Health and Safety Statistics
Even in today’s work place, there are some very interesting but at the same time very worrying statistics that have been found by the HSE. Here are a few of the statistics that they have compiled:
- 2 million working people suffering from a work-related illness
- 2535 mesothelioma deaths due to past asbestos exposures (2012)
- 133 workers killed at work
- 78 000 other injuries to employees reported under RIDDOR
- 629 000 injuries at work from the Labour Force Survey
- 2 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury
- £14.2 billion estimated cost of injuries and ill health from current working conditions (2012/13)
The implementation of the BS OHSAS Health and Safety Management Standard has the potential to provide a comprehensive method for ensuring a company stays legal and the employees stay safe. That being said, it is the responsibility of the employer and each employee to maintain the health and safety in the workplace and we like to work with all our clients to ensure that this is the case.
Bring Quality professionals into the boardroom
What is of concern is that where 72% of leaders believed their products were of a world class standard, only 40% of the quality professionals asked said the same.
Additional findings found that less than 50% said customer needs were at the heart of their quality programmes.
Furthermore, only 24% of those surveyed stated that customers were an active part in quality discussions.
This gives significant credence to the recommendation that quality professionals should at the very least partake in boardroom level meetings and should even have a place on the board of directors. In doing this, it is hoped that the quality of products produced will not only rise but will be of the standard that customers demand.
Top 5 green myths
- When appliances are off, they don’t use power. Scientists have come across a phenomenon called “vampire power” whereby appliances such as televisions, computer monitors and phone charges still use power even when they are switched off. The solution? Pull the plug!
- Energy conservation and energy efficiency are the same. In fact energy conservation is where there is a concerted effort to use less energy (e.g. turning off lights when out of the room). Whereas energy efficiency is where less energy is used to complete the same task (e.g. using energy efficient light bulbs).
- Organic is better. Organic foods and drinks can be argued to be better for you and even taste different but this does not mean they are green. Those organic apples could have been flown and trucked for thousands of miles which isn’t that green at all. The solution? Buy local when it is possible!
- Hybrid vehicles are better. They may produce less greenhouse gases but how much energy is needed to produce them? Additionally, a hybrid people carrier or pick-up will not necessarily use less energy than a small vehicle so think about what type of vehicle you really need.
- Planting trees will fix global warming. Forests around the tropics and the equator help lower temperatures but those farther away do not. Forests farther away trap heat in their dense canopies and in doing so raise temperatures. That being said, a greenier planet is a prettier place to live…
Implementing the ISO 14001 Environmental Management Standard is one of the most effective ways to ensure your business maintains its social responsibility, not to mention that it can help a business save money. Contact us today if you would like more information or visit the relating webpage here.
Source: How stuff works
ISO Training Services Update
ISO Training Kept Simple…….
As an independent organisation, we understand how important training is to a company and have seen first-hand the boost to morale, profits, customer satisfaction and employee loyalty.
We are also aware that delivering high quality services, consistently, is a challenge for any organisation which is why we aim to make it easier for you.
Our courses are intensive but fully interactive sessions, which focus on the important element of training – the end application!
This interactive 2 day training course will teach you the tools and techniques of the internal auditor.
Learn how to conduct an effective audit and how to use this to achieve continual business process improvement and assist your staff in identifying any gaps that may challenge the effectiveness of your quality management system.
- Principles of ISO
- The role of the Management Representative
- Brief overview on the management system to be audited
- What is the purpose of an audit?
- How should an audit be approached?
- Maximise the benefits of monitoring that the procedures are regularly being controlled
- Find and rectify negative trends, maximise positive trends
- A practical auditing exercise is undertaken by the delegate on the business, which will be marked
Per Delegate £395.00 plus VAT*
NEW FOR 2015!
We are pleased to offer the following new course for January 2015:
28th and 29th January 2015 (2 Day Course)
Why attend this course?
No information security management system can achieve its potential unless the underlying principles are understood, supported by management and become part of a company’s normal operating procedure.
This course will address the main principles and elements involved when adopting the ISO27001 standard and provide a foundation for companies who are interested in using the standard as the mainstay for their information security approach.
You will gain an understanding of:
- categorising and mitigating risk
- scoping and maintaining an Information Security Management System
- asset management
- setting up security governance and associated roles involved
- Principles and elements of ISO 27001
- Role of the information security management representative
- How to establish information security governance within your organisation
- Asset management – how to complete an inventory
- Completion of risk assessments
- Statement of applicability
- Document requirements
There will also be a chance for a questions and answers at the end of each session with a recap at the end of the day.
Per Delegate £395.00 plus VAT*
This is a brand new course for ISO Quality Services and please register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01905 670303
All prices are inclusive of course materials and refreshments and we offer a multi booking discount should you wish to book more than one place on a course. Please ask for details.
Sounds interesting? Want to know more? For further details of each course and others that we offer, we have a dedicated training website www.isotrainingservicesltd.com where all of our training information, courses and dates will be available, along with case studies, news articles and Meet the Trainer!
Please take the time to visit us!
To book your place please call 01905 670303 or email our Training Co-ordinator email@example.com
REMEMBER IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CLIENT OF ISO QUALITY SERVICES YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A DISCOUNT ON ALL OUR COURSES…PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS
We are also available on Twitter @TrainIsoqsl – so get following and tweeting!
If you haven’t joined already – what are you waiting for?
ISO news, training updates and offers, meet the ISO QSL team and connect with other like-minded individuals
Visit us at: ISO QSL LinkedIn Company page
Networking events and seminars we are attending in October 2014 – November 2014
- Date of Event – 18/11/2014
Time: 7am – 9.30am (Registration from 6.45am)
Venue: Sixways Stadium, Worcester Warriors Rugby Club, Warriors Way, Worcester, WR3 8ZE
You’ll find out how an imaginative brand and an original identity can help potential customers to feel positive about your business, generate leads, increase conversions and improve your revenue. The open networking session gives you the chance to talk business with an average attendance of more than 130 local business owners, directors and decision-makers.
- Date of Event: 19/11/2014
Cost: £15.00 Members (excludes VAT) / £30.00 Non members (excludes VAT)
Venue: Burghill Valley Golf Club, Burghill HR4 7RW
With a delicious buffet breakfast and plenty of opportunities to mix and mingle with fellow Herefordshire businesses, this event is a regular fixture in our networking calendar. (Every 3rd Wednesday of the month). Come along and raise your business profile and make some valuable business contacts with the other delegates.
We will welcome Matt Smith from Fastershire at this event, Matt will give a presentation on the Fastershire Broadband Roll out in Herefordshire, the CREATE project and Passport to Fastershire grant schemes.
Herefordshire & Worcestershire Chamber of Commerce – Maximise Your Memebership *Hereford* (In Association with ISO Quality Services)
- Date of Event – 19/11/2014
Venue: Burghill Valley Golf Club, Burghill HR4 7RW
All members are invited to join us for a Maximise Your Membership Event in their first three months. This FREE event is sponsored by ISO Quality Services Ltd and offers members the opportunity to meet the Chamber team and find out some of the many ways to make the most of their membership. Attendees will hear from the Chamber membership team and Chief Executive as well as sponsors ISO Quality Services Ltd, about their experiences of membership and how they get maximum return from their investment. There will also be plenty of networking opportunities and tips for networking effectively.
Herefordshire & Worcestershire Chamber of Commerce – Hereford Curry Club in Association with Harrisons Business Recovery and Insolvency Ltd
- Date: 21/11/2014
Cost: £12.50 Members (excludes VAT) / £12.50 Non members (excludes VAT)
Venue: Champagne Signature Bar and Restaurant, Hereford HR4 0EF
Organised as a partnership between H&W Chamber of Commerce and Harrisons Business Recovery and Insolvency Limited , the Curry Club offers businesses the chance to network and enjoy a delicious Indian buffet over lunchtime!
Are you a client of ours? Would you recommend our services to your clients / suppliers…why not refer a friend?
Receive a free case of wine or a £50 Marks & Spencer’s Voucher…..the choice is yours!
(To qualify for this you must refer a successful lead).
To offer your referrals please contact – firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01905 670 303
ISO Quality Services Ltd are proud to specialise in the implementation and certification of the Internationally recognised ISO and BS EN Management Standards.
Do you want to get ahead of your competition? Win more tenders or save time and money on reoccurring issues? Contact us today on 0330 058 5551 or email email@example.com.
Alternatively, you can request a quote by filling out our enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch shortly.