ISO Quality Services April 2015 Newsletter
16 Apr, 2015
A warm welcome to the ISO Quality Services Ltd April 2015 Newsletter, we hope that you are having a fantastic month!
So far this month the upcoming elections have taken hold and much to a lot of peoples’ delight, the new Game of Thrones season started!
What’s in this issue?
This months issue is dedicated to all things Information Security, we hope you find this issue very enlightening!
Congratulations to our Newly Certificated Clients
Founded in 2011, Enviro Waste London Ltd is an environmentally friendly waste clearance company that provide a reliable range of waste clearance services for both homes and businesses.
On Monday 2nd March 2015 Enviro Waste London Ltd, were presented with their ISO 9001 Quality, ISO 14001 Environmental, ISO 27001 Information Security and BS EN 15713 Secure Destruction of Confidential Material certificates.
As a family run company, Enviro Waste London Ltd.’s mission statement reads, “To change an old-fashioned and unattractive market place into a proactive, professional and cleaner one that has customer service and the environment at the forefront of its values”.
Lead Assessor, Rick Allard (Left) presenting James Rubin, Enviro Waste London Ltd.’s CEO with their ISO 9001 Quality Management Standard Certificate – one of FOUR Certificates successfully achieved.
With over 11 years of experience, Think Associates specialise in implementing e-enabled systems which help organisations improve the way you manage your staff.
On Wednesday 11th March 2015 Think Associates Ltd, were presented with their ISO 27001:2013 Information Security Management Standard certificate.
Working with predominantly with the public sector, their team consists of highly skilled organisational development consultants, HR practitioners, process redesign experts and project managers.
Lead Assessor Percy Beynon (right), presenting Chloe Powell (left) and Tim Newham (middle) of Think Associates Ltd with their ISO 27001 Information Security Management System Certificate.
Worry as UK firms don’t see Cyber security as an issue
A new report published claims that many UK SME’s are risking the future of their business due to poor on-line security. It found that there were some key reasons for this. The first being that there was a general feeling that firms’ do not know where to start in the protection of their livelihoods (22%).
The second is more worrying, 66% of those SME’s surveyed didn’t believe that they were at risk despite the recent spate of incidents that have recently hit the headlines. A further 24% said that they felt that it was too expensive.
The more common misconceptions were also brought to light, within the research this included 26% of participants believing that only companies that participate in ecommerce were at risk, and a further 22% believed that small companies aren’t a target for hackers.
As the internet and the associated technology continues to grow in popularity, as will the number of SMEs becoming dependant on utilising these to grow their business and compete locally, nationally and even internationally.
Therefore businesses need to be given the knowledge and tools to protect their business and one method of doing so is by implementing the ISO 27001 Information Security Management Standard which seeks to comprehensively coordinate businesses security efforts.
The REAL facts about Information Security
- Data breaches can be accidental. The leaking of sensitive information doesn’t have to be malicious but such breaches may still incur significant fines. The comprehensive processes and procedures of the ISO 27001 help prevent accidental breaches from both external and internal sources.
- Breaches can prove fatal to any business. 81% of large business and 60% of small businesses have suffered from security breaches (Department for Business Innovation & Skills).
- Prevention cheaper than cure. While business owners might see an information security management system as an extra cost, it is definitely going to be less than the £65k – £115k that is the average cost to a small business of its worst security breach (Department for Business Innovation & Skills).
- Even Antivirus Software has its vulnerabilities. A system will never be completely secure, antivirus software and information security is there to reduce accidents, stop the opportunists and make it as expensive as possible for any potential attackers to gain entry to your systems.
- Global Information security spending to reach $76.9 Billion in 2015 (Gartner). This is an increase of $5.8 Billion on the figure last year. With proof of information security being demanded by more and more customers, this figure is expected to increase further in the coming years.
Why the ISO 27001 Information Security Standard?
- Win more tenders. Initially it was primarily public sector tenders that required companies to demonstrate information security compliance but today more and more private sector tenders also have the same requirements.
- Pre-emptive action. If every employee knows what is expected of them with regards to information security, the level of risk will decrease.
- There are alternatives but the ISO 27001 is so comprehensive, you can be extremely confident that your company has done all it can…barring implementing secret service style security!
- Internationally recognised. With businesses of all types and sizes trading internationally, achieving an internationally recognised standard will help your business appeal to a far bigger audience.
- Breeds confidence. All stakeholders such as employees, suppliers and customers can be confident that you are taking the security of their information seriously and this may even act as a unique selling point when attracting new business.
Don’t just take our word for it…
It’s ok for us to discuss the importance of the ISO 27001 Information Security Standard but why not hear from a company that is maintaining the standard – Introducing Saracen Datastore Ltd.
Saracen looks after invaluable & important records, documents, archives & media. As an incredibly successful company, Saracen has invested in excess of £1m over the past 2 years so as to cope with the demand.
While discussing the ISO 27001 and the advantages that it has brought, Saracen’s Operations Director, Jez Tibbetts had this to say:
“The initial reasoning behind implementing ISO 27001 was most definitely a marketing and commercially led decision, to open up new opportunities and to help us win more quality business. Without a doubt this has been one of the outcomes for sure. However post implementation we can see that the business improvements we have made and the enhancing of our business best practices have had a much greater impact on the business. We’ve raised the bar. Our customers and potential customers see us as a more mature and pragmatic business. For me it ultimately comes down to reputation. By implementing ISO 27001 our business is operating to recognised information security best practice – giving us and our customers’ peace of mind and helping us to protect our business and our reputation.”
For more info regarding Saracen and their services, please contact:
Phone: 0808 159 9419
5 Top security tips
- Don’t use personal USB’s and charge phones through company computers. This is the quickest way to get a virus on a company’s server so use the phones charger if required.
- Use separate passwords for different logins, many people only use one for everything which is incredibly dangerous. Additionally, use a mixture of letters (Upper and lower case), numbers and symbols.
- Introduce a policy of employees changing their passwords periodically.
- Many breaches come from employees not being trained but this is not enough, ensuring they know why it is important and how they can help will guarantee that everyone is on the right page.
- Consider a data destruction policy. Simply hitting the delete button on a computer being disposed of will not permanently delete all the data being held. There are a number of companies who can securely dispose of unwanted IT equipment.
ISO Quality Services Ltd enter into exclusive partnership
As part of our commitment to our clients, ISO Quality Services are proud to announce that we have entered into an exclusive partnership with Thornton & Lowe, the UK’s premier bid and tender writing, training and consultancy firm.
Companies are increasingly implementing the ISO 27001 Information Security Standard as it is a requirement on tenders; therefore the aim of the partnership is to offer the very best comprehensive service for our clients.
Working with some very high profile clients, Thornton & Lowe work with a range of clients including:
So if you are missing out on tenders and need a helping hand, why not contact them?
Greater Manchester: 01204 238 046
Central Scotland: 01334 208 312
Midlands: 0121 523 1051
Would you like a little more piece of mind?
The ISO 27001 Information Security Management Standard is a fantastic tool for improving your company’s Cyber Security but what if the worst did happen? With this in mind, we would like to introduce you to Cyber & Data Risk Insurance in the form of Cooke and Mason Plc.
Cooke and Mason Plc have a proven track record of providing this type of insurance and it is always prudent to reduce any possible impact of data breaches.
With a vast amount of expertise in all different kinds of Business related insurance, you might like to find out how they can help you.
Phone: 01777 869 900
ISO Training Services Update
As an independent organisation, we understand how important training is to a company and have seen first-hand the boost to morale, profits, customer satisfaction and employee loyalty.
We are also aware that delivering high quality services, consistently, is a challenge for any organisation which is why we aim to make it easier for you.
Our courses are intensive but fully interactive sessions, which focus on the important element of training – the end application!
Date: 29 & 30 April 2015
Cost: £395 + VAT per delegate
Why attend this course?
No quality management system can achieve its potential unless it is constantly monitored and audited. An audit is a review (or a check) of the Management System and its compulsory elements. It is a snapshot of the activities that a company undertakes that prove compliance to the standard at the time of the audit
This interactive 2 day training course will teach you the tools and techniques of the internal auditor.
How to conduct an effective audit and how to use these to achieve continual business process improvement and will assist your staff in identifying any gaps that may challenge the effectiveness of your quality management system.
Our Internal Auditing Training will cover the following key topics, as well as allowing for question & answer sessions on the day:
- Principles of ISO
- The role of the Management Representative
- Brief overview on the management system to be audited
- What is the purpose of an audit?
- How should an audit be approached?
- Maximise the benefits of monitoring that the procedures are regularly being controlled
- Find and rectify negative trends, maximise positive trends
- A practical auditing exercise is undertaken by the delegate on the business, which will be marked
Dates: 28th May 2015
Cost: £295 + VAT per delegate
I have lots of questions; is this course right for me?
Have you recently implemented ISO 9001; are you new to the standard or are you not sure if ISO 9001 is for you? Then this is an excellent introduction for anyone involved in the development, implementation and management of ISO 9001.
This training course is designed to help your organisation demonstrate commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, as well as continuously improving your quality management systems (QMS).
Our friendly trainers will help you overcome any reservations you might have and enable you to understand the requirements of the standard, help you to improve your management processes and prepare your business for growth.
And finally it’ll provide an overview of the purpose and requirements of ISO 9001 as a tool for business improvement.
Quality Manager training will cover the following topics, as well as allowing for question & answer sessions on the day:
- Principles and elements of ISO 9001
- Role of the Quality Manager
- How to integrate ISO into the daily activities of the business
- Effective objective setting
- How to run a Management Review Meeting effectively
- Guide to internal auditing
- Focus on bench marking and its importance to quality management
- Continuous improvement
Sounds interesting? Want to know more?
For further details of each course and others that we offer, we have a dedicated training website www.isotrainingservicesltd.com where all of our training information, courses and dates will be available, along with case studies, news articles and Meet the Trainer!
Please take the time to visit us!
To book your place please call 01905 670303 or email our Training Co-ordinator email@example.com
REMEMBER IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CLIENT OF ISO QUALITY SERVICES YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A DISCOUNT ON ALL OUR COURSES…PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS
Be part of our LinkedIn community
If you haven’t joined already – what are you waiting for?
ISO news, training updates and offers, meet the ISO QSL team and connect with other like-minded individuals.
Visit us at: ISO QSL LinkedIn Company page
Networking events in April – May 2015
Herefordshire & Worcestershire Chamber of Commerce – Hereford Curry Club
Cost: £12.50 +VAT to members
Time: 12.30 pm
Venue: The Den Restaurant, Hereford HR4 0BX
Organised as a partnership between H&W Chamber of Commerce and Harrisons Business Recovery and Insolvency Limited, the Curry Club offers businesses the chance to network and enjoy a delicious Indian buffet over lunchtime! The event regularly attracts up to 30 attendees from a wide range of businesses in the Herefordshire area.
Herefordshire & Worcestershire Chamber of Commerce – Maximise Your Membership (In association with ISO Quality Services)
Time: 08.30 am – 11.00 am
Venue: Worcestershire County Cricket Club, Worcester WR2 4QQ
All members are invited to join us for a Maximise Your Membership Event in their first three months. This FREE event is sponsored by ISO Quality Services Ltd and offers members the opportunity to meet the Chamber team and find out some of the many ways to make the most of their membership. Attendees will hear from members of the Chamber membership team and the Chief Executive about their experiences of membership and how they get maximum return from their investment. There will also be plenty of tips for networking effectively.
Greater Birmingham Chamber of Commerce – Business Breakfast with Andy Street, Chair, Greater Birmingham & Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership
Cost: £15 +VAT to members – £22.50 +VAT to non-members
Time: 07.30 am – 10.00 am
Venue: Birmingham Hippodrome, Hurst Street, Birmingham, B5 4TB
Andy is Chair of the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), the body tasked with driving private sector growth in the region. He is also Vice Chairman of Performances Birmingham Limited, which is responsible for running the city’s Symphony and Town Halls and he is a member of the Prime Minister’s Business Advisory Group.
Are you a client of ours? Would you recommend our services to your clients / suppliers…why not refer a friend?
Receive a free case of wine or a £50 Marks & Spencer’s Voucher…..the choice is yours!
(To qualify for this you must refer a successful lead).
To offer your referrals please contact – firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01905 670 303
ISO Quality Services Ltd are proud to specialise in the implementation and certification of the Internationally recognised ISO and BS EN Management Standards.
Do you want to get ahead of your competition? Win more tenders or save time and money on reoccurring issues? Contact us today on 0330 058 5551 or email email@example.com.
Alternatively, you can request a quote by filling out our enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch shortly.
Secure Destruction of Confidential Materials
Health & Safety
- News Archive
Miracle on Lowesmoor
21 Dec, 2018
Should ISO Be In Your Brexit Box?
14 Nov, 2018
Is GDPR a nine day wonder?
16 Oct, 2018