ISO Quality Services – September 2014 Newsletter
15 Sep, 2014
Welcome to our September newsletter, we hope you have had a great month!
The past month has seen the children go back to school and the close of the transfer window (Football!), which saw some crazy money being spent. Also, a big congratulations is in order as we found out that the Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant with her and Prince William’s second child and finally, Oscar Pistorius was found guilty of culpable homicide.
What’s in this issue?
Congratulations to our Newly Certificated Clients
C Franklin Limited
C Franklin Limited is situated in Hertfordshire and formed in 2008, it is dedicated to the installation, service and reparing of medical hoist systems.
On Tuesday 12th August 2014, C Franklin Ltd was presented with their ISO 9001 Certificate.
C Franklin Ltd are safe contractor approved and have installed hoist systems for many large hospitals, hospices, special needs schools and also in private residences. Covering the south east of England, they pride themselves in giving fantastic customer service at a reasonable price.
Global Language Services Limited
Situated in Glasgow and established in 2001, Global Language Services Limited focuses on providing interpreters and translators to its client base.
Having already achieved the BS EN 15038 in 2013, they have now achieved ISO 27001 Information Security Management certification.
As well as offering interpreting and translation services, Global Language Services Limited also offers both media services and language tuition. Based in Scotland, their services are available for projects around the world.
(George Runciman, Managing Director (left), Jenny Whyte, Administration Manager (middle), and Iwona Burns, Translation Department Manager (right) of Global Language Services Ltd being presented with their ISO 27001:2013 Information Security Management System Certificate)
Tongue Tied Limited & UK TechTrans Limited
Based in East Sussex, these sister companies were formed in 1989 and 2002 respectively. Both companies offer technical translation amongst additional services such as interpretation and desktop publishing.
On Wednesday 27th August 2014, Tongue Tied Limited and UK TechTrans Limited were presented with their BS EN 15038 Certificate.
With extensive experience in providing language services over decades, these companies can boast a number of high profile and just as important, satisfied clients.
For more information on the company and how they can help you, please contact them on 01273 419999 (Tongue Tied), 01273 426921 (UK TechTrans) or http://www.tongue-tied.co.uk/, http://www.uktechtrans.com/.
(Lead Assessor Rick Allard (left) presenting Andrew Winterbottom (right), Manager of Tongue Tied Limited & UK TechTrans Limited with their BS EN 15038 Translation Services Management System certificate)
Minimum wage rise – be prepared!
At present the national minimum wages are as follows:
- £6.31 for workers 21 and over,
- £5.03 18 – 20 yrs.,
- £3.72 for 16 – 17 yrs. and,
- £2.68 for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over who are in the first year of apprenticeship.
However, from October 1st 2014 the minimum wages will be as follows:
- £6.50 for workers 21 or over,
- £5.13 18 – 20 years,
- £3.79 for 16 – 17 yrs. and,
- £2.73 for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over who are in the first year of apprenticeship.
The national minimum wage applies to businesses of all sizes, in addition, tips, accommodation, benefits and salary sacrifices are not included within these figures.
For more information, please click here.
Attaining the 14001 Environmental Management System can save you money
Of course it is important to look after the environment for our benefit as well as the generations to come. That being said, doing things like reducing your water usage for example can actually save a business a substantial amount of money. Moreover, customers are increasingly demanding that businesses be more environmentally friendly so why not use it as part of a marketing strategy?
- Install urinal flush controls. These can save up to 70% of water used by flushing and can have a payback period of around 8 months on the initial investment.
- Set your printer to print double sided. By doing this, your paper consumption is sure to fall.
- Consider tele- and video-conferencing. This will not only save travel costs but it will also save time, thus meaning a more productive business.
- Turn off computers, peripherals and lights when not in use and especially at the end of the day. For businesses with a number of computers and electrical devices, this will save a substantial amount over the course of a year.
- Refill your printer ink cartridges. Doing so can reduce printing costs considerably but additionally, always ask yourself, “Do I really need to print this?”
These are but a few examples of how a business can save money as well as the environment. If you haven’t considered it yet, why not implement an ISO 14001 Environmental Management standard? Doing so will create a coordinated approach to becoming environmentally friendly and saving money. Furthermore, having clearly set out processes and procedures in place will mean every employee will be singing from the same hymn sheet!
If you already have standards such as the ISO 9001 Quality Management Standard or the BS OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety standard, you are already on your way to achieving the ISO 14001.
Many businesses consider training to be an expensive exercise and so put it off, however it is argued that continual professional development (CPD) is not only beneficial to an individual but also to the business for whom they work for. That is why here at ISO Quality Services, we offer many training opportunities for clients who wish to improve their knowledge regarding how to maintain the certifications that they may have already achieved.
There are many reasons for a business keeping on top of their employee training but here are a select few:
- It improves employee performance. Employees who partake in regular training will perform better at their job and additionally, it provides the business with physical proof that they have been given all the relevant information in order to successfully carry out their job.
- Improves customer service. If employees are performing well then they will be able to give better customer service and so improve company reputation. Furthermore, for a company which produces a product, a better quality product will in turn reduce the amount of faulty products that are returned.
- Improves employee confidence. If an employee feels confident that they can fulfil the demands of their job then they will be happier in the workplace. Additionally, talented employees naturally want to better themselves and so training improves job satisfaction, thus reducing staff turnover.
- Improves recruitment. A business that has a reputation for aiding personal growth can improve its ability to attract top talent as continual professional development has become more and more important to today’s job applicant.
- Reduced costs. A well trained and efficient workforce will mean a reduction in wastage, accidents while ensuring machines are used economically.
Here at ISO Quality Services, we offer a range of training programs which include Quality Manager, Environmental Manager, Internal Auditor and Risk Assessment. On top of that we will be introducing new training courses in the near future such as Information security training.
Did you know? Existing Clients qualify for a 10% reduction in training costs!
For more information regarding our training courses, please contact us direct on 01905 670303 or visit our brand new training website, www.isotrainingservicesltd.com.
Six of the greatest myths about ISO 9001
The ISO 9001 is the most established out of all of the standards that we certificate and even though it is the most popular, there are a number of myths that still exist which can put off companies considering its implementation. Here are six of the most common myths surrounding ISO 9001 and what is really true:
1) ISO 9001 is expensive to implement and maintain – It is true that for some companies there may be substantial implementation costs but again, every business is different so this may not necessarily be the case. Furthermore, a successfully implemented and maintained Quality Management System brings benefits which far outweighs these initial costs. The processes and procedures are put in place with the view to creating the highest levels of customer satisfaction, as well as eliminating all problems experienced at source, both of which will guarantee that there will be significant improvement in financial performance.
2) Document everything! – In earlier versions of the ISO 9001, documentation was required for everything but now-a-days, this is no longer the case. It is now left to the discretion of those running the business as to what needs to be documented. The most important thing is that the company can ensure compliance at all times.
3) Not every business would benefit from the ISO 9001 – In truth every business could benefit from the introduction of an ISO 9001 Quality Management System. The requirements of such a system are a set of processes and procedures that can be applied to a business of any size or type. The main aim of the standard is to allow for the management of the organisation to maintain control over all aspects of the business and this is something that every business owner should always seek to do.
4) Everything needs to be perfect at the start – If this were true, there would be no requirement for the ISO standard! Providing your business is in a position to be able to monitor, detect and correct any issues, then your business is more than ready to implement the ISO 9001. An associated myth to this is that it takes years to undertake. This is not the case as in the vast majority of cases companies only have to adapt or tweak when they are currently doing, the aim is not to replace but to improve current practices.
5) ISO 9001 is a one size fits all – This is the most common myth of them all. The ISO 9001 does not define in detail, what each process within an organisation must look like. Instead, the standard seeks to outline what must be addressed as part of the process but not how the different aspects must be addressed. Each business operates in a different way and the implementation of the processes and procedures will not be a success if they are forced. Each employee of the business must feel at ease and fully understand how and just as importantly, why there is a need to adjust business practices. Of course ISO Quality Services are here to help during the implementation process and in doing so we will always endeavour to ensure that what is implemented is right for your business.
6) It is the quality department alone that implements the ISO 9001 – It cannot be stressed strongly enough that the implementation and ultimately certification of any ISO standard, let alone the ISO 9001 is a joint effort. Success depends on everyone within the organisation helping with the implementing and maintenance of the standard. This is incredibly important as this process will more than likely be a failure if everyone is not on board. For this to happen, there must be clear and strong communication channels detailing how the implementation is going to happen and why the changes are important. It may also be worthwhile to invite feedback from all employees because everyone reacts better when they are being listened to.
There is no doubt that there are other less favourable myths out there but here at ISO Quality Services one of our core values is transparency. Therefore, we will always strive to answer all client queries in an honest and straight forward manner. If you do have any questions regarding the implementation of a standard or any of our other services, then please do not hesitate in contacting us at your convenience. You can contact us direct on: 01905 670303 or by email at email@example.com.
Are you making the most of your subscription?
Here at ISO Quality Services Ltd we are continuously endeavouring to provide the very best customer care to each and every single one of our clients but are you aware of all the services provided as part of your monthly membership fee? We offer a level of service which is unrivalled by our competition so please utilise the following services:
- 6 month support/review meeting. This meeting is used to ensure that your company is on track with regards to implementing and maintaining the ISO standard. We feel that this is an invaluable service; there would be nothing worse than to get to month 11 and realising that you’ve got an enormous amount of work to undertake in order to maintain the ISO standard(s).
- This meeting also gives you the chance to ask our assessors any questions that you may have, as well as being an opportunity for you to ask for assistance if it is desired.
- All costs associated with the re-certification at the end of the 12 month periods are included within these costs.
- Unlimited head office email and telephone support (Normal working hours apply). Do not wait until your 6 month meeting or the annual audit, if you have any queries regarding the implementation process or any other aspect, please contact us at your earliest convenience.
- All travel and subsistence expenses are included in our costs, including overnight stays’ (UK only). This is not typical of our industry but we feel that it is only fair given the level of expense incurred with the implementation of the ISO standards.
- Monthly newsletters and regular news updates. Here at ISO Quality Services Ltd, we believe that an informed company is a more successful company. Therefore we provide our clients with regular updates regarding the standards, as well as any hints and tips that might be useful. Please check our website on a daily basis, under the heading “Latest news”.
- Access to our client area. This is still to undergo further development but at present it gives the details of all of our clients that wish to be included. This is free advertising for your own company but additionally, if you require a trusted service from a supplier or require a supplier who is ISO certificated then this is the place to look. You should already have your login details but please contact us if you have any issues.
- 10% reduction in training costs. It is appreciated that either you may not have previous experience of the ISO standard or you may just feel a little overwhelmed by the by the tasks at hand. The training courses that we provide are of exceptional quality and are focused on the practicalities of running a business. Please visit our training website here or contact us direct on 01905 670303.
The bottom line is that you are not alone in the implementation and maintenance of your ISO standards. As our strap line says,
ISO Quality Services Ltd – ISO certification kept simple.
Customer feedback: Are you utilising it effectively?
Collecting customer feedback is a very important exercise that is seen as key to business growth. The majority of successful businesses collect customer feedback but would it surprise you to know that there are a significant proportion of businesses that do not actually act upon the feedback they receive?
Actively monitoring customer feedback can help identify potential areas for improvement such as
- Product quality. The same part could be malfunctioning for a number of customers and analysing the feedback will allow a business to correct this.
- Employee training. If customers are not entirely satisfied with the level of service then it might be improved with regular training to ensure standards are kept high.
- Employee appraisal. Conversely, if a member is receiving regular praise from customers then this will be highlighted and can be rewarded.
- Review of marketing literature. Customers may be concerned with certain information not being included with advertisements, once highlighted, this can be amended.
- Production levels. These may require reviewing if there are concerns about lack of product availability. Additionally, if products are found to be extremely popular it may be worth considering making them more readily available geographically or to new industries.
Positive feedback is always great to receive, however negative feedback should be appreciated to the same degree. Negative feedback should be seen as an opportunity to tweak the product and/or service that you offer so as to successfully satisfy your client base and grow your business.
This is a fundamental element of the ISO 9001 Quality Management System. For further information regarding becoming certificated for this standard, Please contact us direct via 01905 670 303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Would Scottish independence affect your business?
With the voting date of the 18th of September looming, the honest answer to this question is that nobody knows for sure. With the groups for and against independence arguing completely the opposite, it is unsurprising that a large selection of voters, as well as on lookers are struggling to form opinions. Furthermore, the lack of trust in politicians in general means that people are left not knowing who to believe.
The ‘Yes’ camp, in favour of independence maintain that it would benefit business and their argument centres on a number of reasons. One of which is that an independent Scotland would promote a culture of innovation and will endeavour to nurture an entrepreneurial culture. What remains to be seen though is how this would be accomplished and exactly how it could be measured.
A second reason why it would benefit is that it would break up what is argued as a “London-centric” economy. This meaning that the government is focussing too much on the growth of London and not the rest of the UK. This does carry credence as an independent Scotland would be able to drive all taxes raised as well as all their efforts into the growth of Scotland. This could also potentially benefit those companies situated outside of Scotland as a more prosperous Scotland would carry more opportunities for companies to sell to Scottish customers.
The ‘No’ camp in contrast argue that a yes for independence would create a large amount of uncertainty. An example given is in terms of the financial sector. It is argued that an independent Scotland would mean the need to development of a new financial regulatory authority and a new central bank. Furthermore, it is argued that Scotland would not be able to support its banking structure given that the bailout of RBS in the midst of the banking crisis totalled to 200% of the Scottish GDP. This is of concern to businesses within Scotland, the rest of the UK and the world as this will increase the risk that a company would take while investing in Scotland.
Another argument of the ‘No’ campaign centres around the fact that Scotland benefits from the pooling of resources, meaning that it is more secure with the backing of the whole of the UK rather than just depending on its self. This can mean that when a hospital or business in Scotland requires urgent help; depend on the whole of the UK for help instead of just depending on the Scottish government. This does have credibility but what opponents argue is that resources are not fairly distributed throughout the whole of the UK which would arguably be better in an independent Scotland.
There are undoubtedly numerous arguments for both the ‘yes’ and the ‘no’ camp that have not been mentioned. That being said, what is undisputed is that it is the uncertainty which is an issue for all businesses, irrespective of whether independence is a good or a bad thing for business. Therefore I am sure that most businesses are ultimately eager just to find out either way so as to be able to plan and make decisions for the future.
Roofing company fined after worker sustained life threatening injuries
The worker suffered extensive injuries to the head which meant that they will be bedridden for a number of months. The court found that there was no provision of any kind in terms of edge protection which would have prevented the fall.
The company in question was fined £16,000 and ordered to pay £9,627 after they pleaded guilty.
The incident its self was investigated by the HSE who upon the conclusion commented that, “Falls from height are the biggest cause of workplace deaths and it’s crucial that employers make sure work is properly planned, appropriately supervised and that sufficient measures such as edge protection are put in place to control the risks of harm from falls”.
For further information regarding working at heights, you can visit the HSE website here.
New Training Dates Released!
At ISO Quality Services Ltd we understand the importance of training and are pleased to offer the following courses in support of your ISO Management Systems:
Environmental Manager training will cover the following key topics, as well as allowing for question & answer sessions on the day:
- What is ISO 14001:2004?
- Principles of Environmental Management
- The role of an Environmental Manager
- Using the management system as a strategic tool to identify areas where cost savings can be captured
- How to monitor the effectiveness of the management system within the company
- How to integrate ISO into your daily business activities and strategic planning of the Organisation
- Continuous improvement
- A guide to internal auditing
Per Delegate £295.00 plus VAT*
Internal Auditing training is a 2 day course covering the following topics, as well as allowing for question & answer sessions on the day:
- Principles of ISO
- The role of the Management Representative
- Brief overview on the management system to be audited
- What is the purpose of an audit?
- How should an audit be approached?
- Maximize the benefits of monitoring that the procedures are regularly being controlled
- Find and rectify negative trends, maximize positive trends
- A practical auditing exercise is undertaken by the delegate on the business, which will be marked
Per Delegate £395.00 plus VAT*
Wednesday 26th November 2014
The BS OHSAS 18001 Health and Safety Management System is a systematic and process driven approach to controlling and monitoring risks that can arise from the company’s day to day activities.
This system is proven to enable the business to be pro-active rather then re-active, therefore more effectively protecting the health and welfare of your workforce on an on-going basis.
With that in mind we are offering a training course for you and your staff on
Health and Safety Risk Assessment, which will go towards dispelling myths and explain in very easy terms, how to approach them.
- Concepts of risk and hazard.
- Concepts of a safe work environment.
- Hazard identification and differentiation between hazard and risk.
- Principles of risk control/s – workplace precautions.
- Safety law and risk assessment legislation.
- Risk assessment, risk analysis and risk management.
- Risk Assessment and the relationship with BS OHSAS 18001:2007.
- Best Practice
- Question and answer sessions throughout.
Per Delegate £225 plus VAT*
All prices are inclusive of course material and refreshments and we offer a multi booking discount should you wish to book more than one place on a course. Please ask for details.
Sounds interesting? Want to know more? For further details of each course and others that we offer, please visit our website at www.isoqsltd.com/training
To book your place please call 01905 670303 or email our Training Co-ordinator email@example.com
If you haven’t joined already – what are you waiting for?
ISO news, training updates and offers, meet the ISO QSL team and connect with other like-minded individuals
Visit us at: ISO QSL LinkedIn Company page
Networking events and seminars we are attending in September 2014 – October 2014
Hereford & Worcester Chamber of Commerce Networking Breakfast
Cost: £15.00 Members (ex VAT) / £30.00 Non Members (ex VAT)
Venue: Burghill Valley Golf Club, Burghill HR4 7RW
- Build new partnerships and exchange ideas with local businesses.
- The speaker for the event is Simon Streeton from Arrivista Business Coaching who has achieved success in turning around the fortunes of many SME’s.
Herefordshire & Worcestershire Chamber of Commerce Business Expo
Time: 8:00 – 15:00
Venue: Three Counties Showground, Malvern, Worcestershire
One of the Chambers most popular, this is a great opportunity for businesses to:
- Gain crucial business contacts
- Promote their company
- Raise their profile within the community
At the Expo there will be plenty of opportunities for businesses to find out what support they can receive in the Business Support and Apprenticeship and Skills Zones. Additionally, there is the ability to network with new and existing contacts in the dedicated Network Zone.
The Business Networking Show 2014
Cost: All day: £20
Time: 8-10; 12-2; 6-8pm
Venue: Wolverhampton racecourse
- Speakers include Rachel Elnaugh, Neil Clough (the Apprentice 2013 runner-up), Brad Burton and Dee Blick.
- Over 1000 attendees
Birmingham Chamber of Commerce: Member Networking
Venue: Birmingham Repertory Theatre, Centenary Square, Broad Street, Birmingham, B1 2EP
- Attracting more than 150 delegates of SME’s from a wide range of sectors.
- Promote and build your business with new and existing contacts.
Are you a client of ours? Would you recommend our services to your clients / suppliers…why not refer a friend?
Receive a free case of wine or a £50 Marks & Spencer’s Voucher…..the choice is yours!
(To qualify for this you must refer a successful lead).
To offer your referrals please contact – firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01905 670 303
ISO Quality Services Ltd are proud to specialise in the implementation and certification of the Internationally recognised ISO and BS EN Management Standards.
Do you want to get ahead of your competition? Win more tenders or save time and money on reoccurring issues? Contact us today on 0330 058 5551 or email email@example.com.
Alternatively, you can request a quote by filling out our enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch shortly.
Secure Destruction of Confidential Materials
Health & Safety
- News Archive
Miracle on Lowesmoor
21 Dec, 2018
Should ISO Be In Your Brexit Box?
14 Nov, 2018
Is GDPR a nine day wonder?
16 Oct, 2018