BS OHSAS 18001; What is it?
A BS OHSAS 18001 health and safety management system is a systematic and process driven approach to controlling and monitoring risks that can arise from the company’s day to day activities.
This system is proven to enable the business to be pro-active rather then re-active, therefore more effectively protecting the health and welfare of your workforce on an on-going basis.
Why BS OHSAS 18001 Certification?
By obtaining the BS OHSAS 18001 Certification you can prove to your stakeholders, customers and staff that you are aware of your health and safety obligations and are looking to minimise the risks that are associated.
The main benefit of obtaining BS OHSAS 18001 are:
Benefits to you:
- Enhanced reputation as a health and safety conscious organisation.
- Reduced risk of potential litigation cases, for example through reducing the number of accidents in the work place.
- Improved productivity of the workforce as potential for absenteeism and sickness is reduced.
Benefits to your customers:
- By conducting rigorous risk and hazard assessments customers are reassured that products / services are delivered within legal requirements.
- Knowledge that heightened awareness of health and safety codes of practice is promoted throughout the supply chain.
Benefits to your staff:
- Peace of mind that they are employed by a company that promotes health and safety in the workplace, and involvement from all staff to ensure it is a safe place to work.
- Ability to take responsibility for hazard identification and risk assessment therefore contributing to accidents / incident reporting; consequently improving morale.
- Job security improved through enhanced business performance.
The BS OHSAS 18001 is changing
The BS OHSAS 18001 Health and Safety Management System is becoming an internationally recognised system. The brand new ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System will launch in 2016.
Are you currently running the BS OHSAS 18001 or are you looking at implementing it? Read more about the new standard HERE.
Don’t just take our word for it:
Graham Currie, Health, Safety and Environmental Manager at Hollingsworth and Vose says:
“Let me start by thanking you on behalf of our Operations Director here at the Hollingsworth and Vose paper mill for your help and support in achieving the OHSAS 18001. This is a special accolade and one which is certainly regarded highly both in our profession and within the paper industry. Our continuous development in the field of specialist paper manufacturing certainly presents a number of unique challenges when it comes to employing and maintaining a robust health safety management system. Obtaining the Occupational Health and Safety Management System has certainly assisted the company in establishing our safety objectives and processes necessary to deliver our results in a safe and effective manner”.
This standard can be used as a tool to support and promote good occupational health and safety practices to both the workforce and other interested parties. It includes continual improvement by self-regulation through audit.